The hotel is prominently situated in the centre of Long Melford, which has the longest high street in East Anglia. Long Melford has a wealth of interesting gift and antique shops, some of which were featured in the 'Lovejoy' TV series. It also has two stately homes, Melford Hall and Kentwell Hall (which often hosts Tudor weekends). Splendid Suffolk wool towns such as Lavenham can be found nearby, and the popular Quay Theatre is only a couple of kilometres away. The bus and railway stations at Sudbury are just 4.8 km from the property. Stansted Airport is approximately 56 km away, while Norwich International Airport is some 97 km away and London Luton Airport is about 140 km from the hotel.The hotel predates even the Tudor monarchs by some 35 years, having been built in 1450. Its original timber work, both outside and inside, is unusually well preserved. That of the exterior was discovered in 1935 when a hundred year-old brick façade was removed. A 'Wildman' or 'Woodwose' is carved onto a beam in the lounge, a mysterious being frequently depicted in the decoration of the middle ages, reputedly to ward off evil spirits. Guests are aware of the ancient history of the building as soon as they walk into the entrance hall. Massive moulded oak beams dominate the reception area and the original part of the building. During the coaching era this was the principal posting house of the town and a stopping place for coaches from London, Bury St Edmunds and Norwich. Today guests can still sit back and enjoy the beautiful Elizabethan fireplace in the lounge and the antique carvings in the Cordell Restaurant. The hotel comprises a total of 25 guest rooms and is non-smoking throughout. Facilities on offer include a bar, Internet access and ample parking for those arriving by car.
Note: We update hotel photos, maps and descriptions on a regular basis – it is the responsibility of the hotel to ensure that these are accurate !